project status and future

Hi,

On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 08:25:25AM +0100, Michael Renzmann wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-01-02 at 23:38 +0100, Axel Thimm wrote:
> > didn't we want to use mediawiki instead of trac's embedded wiki?
> >
> > http://lm-sensors.org/wiki/
> >
> > vs
> >
> > http://lm-sensors.org/trac/wiki/
>
> I'd say no. While mediawiki might be more powerful regarding the markup
> it uses, we will loose one of the features of Trac: the possibility to
> easily link between tickets, wiki, changeset comments, and other Trac
> objects.

Is it really that helpful? At ivtvdriver.org nobody really misses
that, while there are quite a few users that are mediawiki experts and
have taken the load off the developers' shoulders. After all one of
the ideas of a wiki is to make it easier for users to contribute to
documentation.

> Trac uses the Wiki markup nearly everywhere where someone can enter text
> (the tickets for example), and if we decided to use Mediawiki for the
> main wiki, users would be forced to cope with two different wiki markup
> dialects.

At least tickets and any items that will be sent in notifier channels
(a commit/notify list) should not contain markup. This makes it very
hard to the ASCII MUA user (i.e. all od us? ;).

Well, as I said I personally prefer mediawiki, but I'm not insisting :)
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net