87431 update

Rudolf Marek wrote:
> Mark Studebaker wrote:
>
>>Great news,
>>I've successfully implemented bmcsensors-over-IPMI-over-SMB, working
>>on the Intel Server donated by Aweta.
>

> Cool. Congrats :)
>

>>HW:
>>    Intel Server Platform SR1325TP1-E w/ 6300ESB SMBus and PC87431 at 0x42
>

> Please will you go through mailing list and notify other people that were fighting with it?
> (I'm CCing Uli) and I think some of other asked in ticket system.

will do

> Unfortunately I'm not very skilled on this IMPI/BMC field. Please could you write the general HOWTO for
> people with server boards? (and for me to point them to this howto)

not a bad idea but for now here are the short answers:

> 1) How to know they have bmc, ipmi ..

sensors-detect will tell them if they have a KCS or SMIC IPMI interface.
The 87431 is a IPMI-over-SMBus chip and I'll be working on sensors-detect
support for it.

> 2) what patches they need

I updated  the new drivers page to specifically identify the patches required for 87431.

> 3) how to obtain results.

load modules, type 'sensors' :)