Adding ICH6 support to the i2c-i801 module, kernel 2.6.5

Hi -

I have a system with an ICH6M chipset (915GM) which has to run kernel
2.6.5.  There are a couple devices on the SMBus which I would like to
get to, an LM63 and a TC655 (fan controller).

The i2c-i801 module supports this in 2.6.7, so I back-ported the
changes (basically the PCI Id) and sensors-detect now finds the bus.
Here is the output of i2cdetect:

  Installed I2C busses:
    i2c-1       unknown         SMBus I801 adapter at 0400
 Algorithm unavailable
    i2c-0       dummy           ISA main adapter
 ISA bus algorithm

I have 2 questions/issues -

First, is the 'unknown' and 'Algorithm unavailable' normal, or did I
miss something in my backport?

Second, if I try to access any of the devices on the SMBus, I will
quickly get a collision/buslock.  I did not change the i2c_delay()
code to match the msleep() in the backport, could this be affecting
it?  The bus does scan, and I see devices where I'd expect them, so
it's -really- close to working...

Thanks for your help.
Craig