[0/6] New w1 features.

On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 17:49:45 -0500
Dmitry Torokhov <dmitry.torokhov at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6/3/05, Evgeniy Polyakov <johnpol at 2ka.mipt.ru> wrote:
> >
> > :) because USB controller will catch interrupt about new device attached.
>
> It does not really matter how we discover a device. I am arguing to
> what should be done once we know about it.
>

> > > Btw, that's what my modalias patch was doing for w1 as well.
> >
> > yep. I liked your hotplug if you remember.
> > But you broke too many other things.
> >

> Not exactly, you just did not like a lot of things because you did not
> want to let go of your first design.
>
> > > If you don't bind to a driver to begin with you don't have to reconnect, do you?
> >
> > And what to do with that device when there is no driver for it.
> > Forget about it? This is wrong. Wait for driver and rescan the bus when it is added?
> > This is wrong.
>
> No,don;t forget. You just add a device to the bus. Without driver, that is it.
>
> > Do not compare w1 with USB/scsi/PCI any other "advanced" buses, this is completely
> > different things, so they just can not be compared.
> >
> > Dmitry, I see this discussion goes wrong way again...
> > Let's continue it from technical point:
> > you want different w1 design - like USB for example,
> > but it is completely wrong with w1 since
> > [quite previous e-mail] we can perform the search only
> > one time, and load a driver far after it. This is a feature,
> > which you want to remove [again], which allows such behaviour,
> > without it you just drop the device and just can not recall
> > later about it without full rescan.[/quote].
>
> No, that is not what I am saying or proposing to do. When you find a
> device just add it to the master's bus, do not drop it. Just realize
> that having a family attached to it is not required. It will be just a
> device, without any attributes, sitting on the bus. When appropriate
> family driver is loaded it will scan all devices (rather in-kernel
> representation of them) and bind to ones it supports. Just like every
> other bus.
>
> Am I still being unclear as to what I propose?

It is exactly how things always worked and work now.
We have 64bit ID with some information that it is orphaned device
[it's ->family->id == 0], so this device will be checked when new family
driver added and hopefully new attributes [which all live in one place
called w1_family] added. I called process of new attribute assignment
as "reconnection".

Exactly as you described.

> --
> Dmitry

	Evgeniy Polyakov

Only failure makes us experts. -- Theo de Raadt