[0/6] New w1 features.

On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 16:46:48 -0500
Dmitry Torokhov <dmitry.torokhov at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6/3/05, Evgeniy Polyakov <johnpol at 2ka.mipt.ru> wrote:
> >
> > 6. I wrote reconnect feature: if on start there are no
> > registered families all new devices will have defailt family,
> > later when driver for appropriate family is loaded, slaves,
> > which were faound earlier, will still have defult family instead
> > of right one. Reconnect feature will force control thread to
> > run through all master devices and all slaves found
> > and search for slaves with default family id and try to reconnect
> > them.
>
> Yep, start with one kludge and you'll end up with 10 more.
>
> Would you mind explaining why a w1 device has to be bound to a family
> before it can show in sysfs? We don't have such limitation on other
> buses, why is it needed for w1?

Because w1 device does not have any sence without appropriate family driver.
You may have a device without a driver for it.
All buses support it - see dmesg when new device was added but there is
no driver for that - usb bus magically says slot is used.
Here is the same.

> --
> Dmitry

	Evgeniy Polyakov

Only failure makes us experts. -- Theo de Raadt