[0/6] New w1 features.

On 6/3/05, Evgeniy Polyakov <johnpol at 2ka.mipt.ru> wrote:

> :) because USB controller will catch interrupt about new device attached.

It does not really matter how we discover a device. I am arguing to
what should be done once we know about it.

> > Btw, that's what my modalias patch was doing for w1 as well.
>
> yep. I liked your hotplug if you remember.
> But you broke too many other things.

Not exactly, you just did not like a lot of things because you did not
want to let go of your first design.

> > If you don't bind to a driver to begin with you don't have to reconnect, do you?
>
> And what to do with that device when there is no driver for it.
> Forget about it? This is wrong. Wait for driver and rescan the bus when it is added?
> This is wrong.

No,don;t forget. You just add a device to the bus. Without driver, that is it.

> Do not compare w1 with USB/scsi/PCI any other "advanced" buses, this is completely
> different things, so they just can not be compared.
>
> Dmitry, I see this discussion goes wrong way again...
> Let's continue it from technical point:
> you want different w1 design - like USB for example,
> but it is completely wrong with w1 since
> [quite previous e-mail] we can perform the search only
> one time, and load a driver far after it. This is a feature,
> which you want to remove [again], which allows such behaviour,
> without it you just drop the device and just can not recall
> later about it without full rescan.[/quote].

No, that is not what I am saying or proposing to do. When you find a
device just add it to the master's bus, do not drop it. Just realize
that having a family attached to it is not required. It will be just a
device, without any attributes, sitting on the bus. When appropriate
family driver is loaded it will scan all devices (rather in-kernel
representation of them) and bind to ones it supports. Just like every
other bus.

Am I still being unclear as to what I propose?

--
Dmitry