Fw: Ask for some information about motherboard ASUS NCLV-D

On Friday 04 March 2005 14:29, Jean Delvare wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> > Hmm but what device it controls? Some multiplexer? or some other black
> > box doing nasty things ;) ? More likely it is a multiplexer.
>
> Yes, most probably. Philips (and probably others) make I2C multiplexers
> that can be controlled using GPIOs.
>
> > I have a theory that maybe SMM (system management mode code) is blocking
> > SMBUS controller for time to time, so thatswhy they are always looking if
> > the bus is busy or not before writing there Is your windows  driver doing
> > same?
> >
> > If my theory is correct you should see in your system long on that
> > motherboards some entries from "i2c-piix4" (whatever it is its name)
> > complaing about transaction failure, i2c busy etc...
>
> This is the i2c-i801 driver. I am not sure that this driver properly
> handles errors (seems to be a weak point of many drivers in lm_sensors),
> so maybe this is something that should be improved to help in this
> specific case.
>
> Chunhao, make sure you compile i2c-i801 with debugging enabled, that
> might help you understand what happens.
>
> --
> Jean Delvare

I do not know if it is of any use to anyone, but I happened across some
detailed pictures of an ASUS motherboard, which as it happens includes
the sensor chip and ICH that are being discussed here.  Wether anyone
can make out the other chips I do not know, as I am not quite sure
what I am looking for.

http://www.ctechnet.com/hardware/Asus/NCCH-DL/asus_ncchdl_3.htm

David