Fw: Ask for some information about motherboard ASUS NCLV-D

Hi all,

> Hmm but what device it controls? Some multiplexer? or some other black box
> doing nasty things ;) ? More likely it is a multiplexer.

Yes, most probably. Philips (and probably others) make I2C multiplexers
that can be controlled using GPIOs.

> I have a theory that maybe SMM (system management mode code) is blocking
> SMBUS controller for time to time, so thatswhy they are always looking if
> the bus is busy or not before writing there Is your windows  driver doing
> same?
>
> If my theory is correct you should see in your system long on that
> motherboards some entries from "i2c-piix4" (whatever it is its name)
> complaing about transaction failure, i2c busy etc...

This is the i2c-i801 driver. I am not sure that this driver properly
handles errors (seems to be a weak point of many drivers in lm_sensors),
so maybe this is something that should be improved to help in this
specific case.

Chunhao, make sure you compile i2c-i801 with debugging enabled, that
might help you understand what happens.

--
Jean Delvare