Intel motherboard support question

Hi Miguel,

> I'm thinking of using the Intel SE7320SP2 board
> (http://www.intel.com/design/servers/boards/se7320sp2/index.htm) which
> has the Intel E7320 chipsetand. I haven't been able to find out if it
> will work with lm_sensors. Would it work?

The E7320 includes an ICH-5R component, for which we have a driver. This
gives you access to the board SMBus (on which hardware monitoring chips
usually live).

The technical documentation of the board says that it uses a National
Semiconductor LM93 chip for hardware monitoring. It also mentions mBMC
and IPMI, which makes me wonder if the LM93 is directly accessible over
the SMBus or not.

There is a LM93 driver available for Linux 2.4, written by Mark M.
Hoffman. The driver was not ported to 2.6 yet, but maybe Mark or someone
else will do at some point in the future.

We also have some support for BMC/IPMI but only for Linux 2.4 and it is
somewhat experimental as I understand it.

The board also has a Super-I/O chip which may hold hardware monitoring
functions. The datasheet isn't very clear whether this is a PC87417 or
PC87427. The latter has hardware monitoring capabilities, but this
sounds somewhat redundant with the aforementioned LM93.

Put in short, the board is pretty new and support for it is just being
added or missing at the moment, depending on the exact design, which I
cannot guess. You should not pick this one it you want hardware
monitoring to work right out of the box, because it most likely won't,
especially if you intend to use Linux 2.6 kernels. However, the board
seems to have a very good potential for hardware monitoring, and all the
chips used are fairly well documented, so whatever support is missing
can be added later (but with no timeline).

> Is there a list to tell which motheborads work with lm_sensors?

No, we don't have such a list. As written in our FAQ, we support chips,
not boards. Tracking all boards out there is too broad a task, and
hardly interesting since our drivers are aimed at chips, not boards,
anyway.

Lists of supported chips:
http://secure.netroedge.com/~lm78/supported.html
http://secure.netroedge.com/~lm78/newdrivers.html
http://www2.lm-sensors.nu/~lm78/cvs/lm_sensors2/doc/chips/SUMMARY

Chip/board list from the MBM project (discontinued):
http://mbm.livewiredev.com/mobolist.html

--
Jean Delvare
http://khali.linux-fr.org/