Myson mtp008

On Mon, 4 Oct 2004 14:30:13 -0500, James Grossmann wrote
> I noticed that this driver has not beed added to the 2.6 kernel
> tree.  I'm just curious if there are any plans on introducing this
> into the tree, or if there is a way in which I could build this for
> my tyan 1834 motherboard. I am not a great programmer, but would be
> interested in helping if there are no plans, I have researched the
> chip and the differences between the lm_modules and the kernel
> drivers for a couple of different chips and so have some background
> on the drivers.

The drivers are ported as time permits, and since it is a scare resource over
here, ports are most frequently submitted by the users themselves. This is a
good thing anyway since you need a chipset to test the code. I wrote a porting
guide (Documentation/i2c/porting-clients in linux 2.6) which is considered a
good base document. That and comparing with an already ported driver should
make it relatively easy to port the mtp008 driver. It is a fairly large
driver, but also quite similar to the lm78.

When you are happy with the code, submit it over this mailing-list for review,
from where it will be sent to Greg KH for integration into the kernel tree.

Note that I am (sadly enough) the only active code reviewer here, and my list
of drivers to review is already long (lm87, adm9240, pc87360 and a few others)
and does stack down very slowly since I am overall busy (of course, everyone
is). So, you better be ready to patiently wait before I get a chance to review
any piece of code you provide. Unless someone else can take care of it, of course.

Thanks.

--
Jean Delvare
http://khali.linux-fr.org/