Fix for 64-bit platforms to i2c-2.8.7

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 23:35:33 -0700, Philip Pokorny wrote
> I've had problems compiling 2.8.7 on Opteron (x86-64) systems due to
> some assembly code in i2c-algo-biths.c
> (...)
> Seems that we've duplicated some code from the mainline kernel
> (udelay) in the biths implementation.  But as with most forks, the mainline
> kernel implementation works on 64-bit but ours doesn't.
> (...)
> In fact, I'm not really sure I see the point of this duplicated code
> at all.  It would seem like we should just call the kernels udelay
> in all cases.  In fact that's the fallback case in the code if it
> doesn't think it can use the multiply instruction.

We sure don't want duplicate code. I also don't see the point of assembly code
in the i2c drivers. You fixed this specific problem for x86-64, but what about
all other non-i386 architectures? I doubt that the speed improvement is worth
the pain.

Could you possibly propose a patch which gets rid of the assembler code
altogether, and uses the kernel's udelay instead?

Thanks.

--
Jean Delvare
http://khali.linux-fr.org/