please help me with my project

Hi,
I'm Cosmin Rotariu, I'm a student in electonic engineering and i need some
help with my project

i made a batery charger , a separate board with LTC1759 , I soldered some
wires on SDRAM card to have acces to I2c from my PC and i connected that 2
wires SCL and SDA to LTC1759 chip

i need to read an write to this chip from my computer.
i have i801 smbus controller inside of my PC

can you tell me the steps that i should follw from now on to write a program
to "talk " with this chip or wit some chip like this?

i think i have to use this chip i801 as a master i2c controler to send to
ltc1759 some data.

i need to write some functions read an write to an smb adress

read(slave_chip_addr,registry_addr)
write(slave_chip_addr,command,data)

data is 2 bytes
and read() should return 2 bytes