One chip, two uses, two drivers [was: [RFC][2.6] Additional i2c a dapter flags for i2c client isolation]

Well, it was off-topic, let's make it another topic ;-p

In fact no, i2c-viapro and vt1211 are not in conflict. As far as I
understand it, vt1211 (I mean the lm_sensors module which deals with the i2c
bus dedicated to temps, fans, etc. on the via nehemiah) is connected to the
(fake ?) isa bus, whereas the i2c-viapro and via-ircc are both connected to
a pci bus.

I don't think it would be aethetic (and even possible) to integrate both
fonctionnalities in the same driver, and I don't know yet how to make two
drivers share the same device, but I guess that's the way to do it. Or maybe
to push "shared" code in a kind of (fake) bus driver and specific code in a
chip. If Mark has some idea/any kind of experience dealing with it, I shall
be interrested. I didn't manage to find any example implemented in the
kernel yet.

Anyway I didn't dig into the i2c-viapro code yet, but I shall do it in order
to plug an PCF8591 in it (the smbus shall be handled by i2c-viapro, am I
right ?), together with an irda transceiver (with the help of via-ircc)...