Ticket number 1467

> 	Re your remark about Asus chips in your first message - when I
> bought the board I basically had no criterion to choose between Asus
> and Abit, which were the two which seemed most attractive.  If I had
> realised how troublesome using the as99127f was going to be I would
> have gone the other way!  You only find these things out when you
> actually buy a piece of kit - at that time the board was too new for
> there to be anything relevant on the sensors support page.

I myself have such a chip on one of my boards (an A7V133-C). I didn't
know about Asus not releasing data sheets at the time I bought it (I
wasn't very active on the LM Sensors project back then). That said, I
have to admit that the problem you encountered wasn't really related to
this lack of data sheet. Still I won't buy anything from Asus for sure
until they change their policy, and I usually recommend people wanting
their hardware fully supported under Linux to do the same.

> Next time I buy I may go to a Xeon cpu (for the sake of the large
> memory support on Xeon motherboards) or if the IA64/AMD 64 bit
> processors look attractive in both specification and price I may
> go that way

Specification, price *and support*. This is now how I choose my
hardware. I select products being supported under Linux (or those
support could be easily added because they are similar to another
supported piece of hardware and/or data sheets are available) and within
my range of price. Then, and only then, I start wondering which one
product in the list will perform the best for the use I have.

And thanks for your nice comments :)

--
Jean Delvare
http://www.ensicaen.ismra.fr/~delvare/