Winbond chips - design questions

"Mark M. Hoffman" wrote:

> * Mark D. Studebaker <mds at paradyne.com> [2003-10-22 20:32:55 -0400]:
> <snip>
> >
> > The new driver is isa-only and includes super i/o
> > detection, so that the isa address is always discovered.
> > This makes the new driver much better at finding a chip.
>
> Is this just ISA PnP?  I have no experience with that.

I don't know PnP so I don't know.
You can look in the driver or in sensors-detect to see
what super i/o looks like. If there's a real name
for it I don't know what it is. I just followed the
super i/o datasheets then realized all the chips were similar.

> <snip>
>

> Why are those enormous tables present in libsensors at all?
> And then again what is the point of libsensors if the
> sensors program needs special code for each driver?  Yuck.
> I guess I should go read the source of gkrellm and see what
> they're doing.

Agreed that libsensors is problematic.
One reason why I've pushed for and documented firm /proc standards
as an alternative.