i2c for Alpha

> > I suspect that you tried to update lm_sensors to 2.8.0 but did not
> > update i2c to 2.8.0 preliminarily. Do that and it should work OK.
> > You
>
> I built i2c outside the kernel using a package for my distribution.

Still it needs to be a version equal to or greater than the version of
lm_sensors you are trying to install. Also, make sure that lm_sensors
picks the right header files. If you have old i2c header files lying
around in /usr/local/include or /use/include, you might want to wipe
them out to make sure the newer ones are used.

> > might want to take a look at our installation guide at
> > http://www.ensicaen.ismra.fr/~delvare/devel/i2c/ since installing
> > i2c 2.8.0 is somewhat tricky.
>
> Is it still the case with 2.8.1, that you have to have the kernel
> patch applied to build?

Yes, you have.
I'm currently working on an i2c patch for submission into Linux 2.4.23
so that lm_sensors will be easier to install, but for now you are
advised to stick to the installation guide says.

That said, Philip Edelbrock's remark is absolutely right. Some, if not
most, drivers of our package are useless on Alpha, so if a particular
driver doesn't compile for some reason, and you know you won't need it,
just remove it from Module.mk so that it isn't compiled at all.

--
Jean Delvare
http://www.ensicaen.ismra.fr/~delvare/