I2C crash - ADM1021

this could simply be from chip reset or limit setting by the driver
at initialization. This causes an ALERT output from the chip
which the BIOS interprets as an overtemp and shuts the
system down immediately.

(another reason for init=0 being the default)

But if the option line prevents the driver from accessing
the chip at all, then this isn't the problem...