I2C crash - ADM1021

On Fri, 2003-09-19 at 14:00, Jean Delvare wrote:
> > > Now, for the adm1021 problems, I'm puzzled. The option line in
> > > /etc/sensors.conf, as suggested by sensors-detect, prevents the
> > > driver from using any of the three addresses at which you have
> > > chipsets (0x18, 0x4c, 0x4e) so loading it shouldn't have had any
> > > effect.
>
> Now that I come to think of it again, one question: did you actually
> edit /etc/modules.conf as sensors-detect told you? Having failed to do
> so would explain (but not forgive) how adm1021 could cause trouble on
> your system.

Yes, I edited modules.conf exactly as suggested with the exclusions for
adm1021 listed.

> > The only possible thing I was thinking was that in my
> > kernel config file, while no modules are loaded, there is one line
> > that is strange.
> >
> > CONFIG_I2C_MAINBOARD=y
>
> I never saw that option anywhere. Grep'ing linux 2.4.22 sources for it
> did not return anything. Could it be some Mandrake add-on?
>
> > is the only thing checked off.
>
> You mean checked *on*?
Yes, sorry.Selected.  As I said, I think that is for a submenu to allow
for selecting modules for compilation or to be built in the kernel.
Saying N above would skip all the choices if using xconfig or menuconfig
to edit .config.  I don't think it's a driver, but simply a group
selector.

As I said, I am happy it works, but the failure of adm1021 remains a
mystery!

Cheers!
--
Peter Hyman
Home:(609)395-1211 Office: (609)655-1184, Fax:(609)655-0285