subscribe gene.heskett@xxxxxxxxxxx

> >Now that this is clear, could you start again explaining to us which
> >kernel you are using, which version of i2c and lm_sensors you are
> > using, and what the problem is?
>
> Humm, I've been building both 2.4.22-pre's and 2.6.0-test2 here and
> it gets confusing at times.  But basicly, in the 2.4.22-pre10 tree,
> i2c-viapro seems to have disappeared.  If I build in the i2c-2.7.0
> tree (and in the lm_sensors-2.7.0 tree, both externally but in my
> compiler driver script as a ps to making the targeted kernel, it all
> works with some of the i2c stuff in the kernel turned on, this for
> kernel 2.4.22-pre8.  Skip to pre10, and the viapro module is gone for
> both 2.7.0 and 2.8.0 builds of both, and 2.8.0 gives me lots of
> depmod errors, so I've reverted to the 2.7.0 family when trying the
> last couple of 2.4.22-pre10 builds.

I admit I'm not sure to understand everything you are trying to do.

> Q's: In the i2c dir tree there is a mkpatch, but unless I'm getting
> blind in my old age, I cannot find any howto instructs to use just in
> case the 2.7.0 (or the 2.8.0) versions are newer than whats in the
> 2.4.22-pre10 tree.  Since 2.7.0 is getting a bit long in the tooth
> now, I need my perception of whats what sorted out, so be my guest
> and sort me out if you have the time.

I suggest you start from the very beginning with the separate
compilation option. This is the way I personnally use, and the one I
recommend too.

You need to have a kernel tree matching your running kernel. This kernel
must not have any I2C element hard-compiled. If it has some as modules,
it's OK, they'll be overriden.

Then, install i2c-2.8.0. Don't patch your kernel, just compile
separately. It's as easy as: make, make install.

Then, install lm_sensors-2.8.0. Same as for i2c, don't patch your
kernel, compile separately. It's as easy as: make, make install,
ldconfig.

There will be depmod errors, we know about them, but unless you can't
live with a module they appear on (i2c-matroxfb and such), just don't
care. These errors won't be fixed before Linux 2.4.23 is released. If
this is a real problem to you, then stick to i2c and lm_sensors-2.7.0.

This method is far easier than using mkpatch, and I expect it to work
even with preX kernels.

Hope this helps.

--
Jean Delvare