subscribe gene.heskett@xxxxxxxxxxx

On Saturday 02 August 2003 13:59, Jean Delvare wrote:
>> So where do users go to post problem reports?  I seem to have
>> gotten lost in a quagmire of updates between its (sensors) all
>> working in kernel-2.4.22-pre8 and the 2.7.0 family of
>> i2c/lm_sensors, and 2.4.22-pre10 and either 2.7.0 or 2.8.0 of
>> i2c/lm_sensors.
>
>The list is OK for reporting problems, you just don't have to
> register to do so. Alternatively, you can use our ticket-based
> support: http://www2.lm-sensors.nu/~lm78/support.html
>
>> I just saw a bitkeeper pull go by on the usb list from greg-kh,
>> but I don't have bitkeeper.  From the list of fixes, it would fix
>> my problems.  i2c-nforce is one that I need but which won't build
>> here, and somehow, i2c-viapro seems to have disappeared from the
>> kernel stuffs, if it was ever in there.
>
>I think you're messing up between what Greg KH does and what we do.
> We develop i2c and lm_sensors as add-ons to the Linux 2.4 kernel.
> Grek KH works on integrating our drivers into Linux 2.6. So unless
> you are using Linux 2.6, you just don't need anything Greg can
> offer.
>
>Now that this is clear, could you start again explaining to us which
>kernel you are using, which version of i2c and lm_sensors you are
> using, and what the problem is?

Humm, I've been building both 2.4.22-pre's and 2.6.0-test2 here and it
gets confusing at times.  But basicly, in the 2.4.22-pre10 tree,
i2c-viapro seems to have disappeared.  If I build in the i2c-2.7.0
tree (and in the lm_sensors-2.7.0 tree, both externally but in my
compiler driver script as a ps to making the targeted kernel, it all
works with some of the i2c stuff in the kernel turned on, this for
kernel 2.4.22-pre8.  Skip to pre10, and the viapro module is gone for
both 2.7.0 and 2.8.0 builds of both, and 2.8.0 gives me lots of
depmod errors, so I've reverted to the 2.7.0 family when trying the
last couple of 2.4.22-pre10 builds.

Q's: In the i2c dir tree there is a mkpatch, but unless I'm getting
blind in my old age, I cannot find any howto instructs to use just in
case the 2.7.0 (or the 2.8.0) versions are newer than whats in the
2.4.22-pre10 tree.  Since 2.7.0 is getting a bit long in the tooth
now, I need my perception of whats what sorted out, so be my guest
and sort me out if you have the time.

In the meantime, I'll ignore Gregs stuff in terms of the 2.4 kernel,
and use it as its added to the 2.6 tree, which I cannot use just yet,
something has broken my scsi cards driver, advansys.c, by deprecating
the check_region() call.  This IIRC is the same function that causes
the build of lm_sensors-2.8.0 to fail at the nforce.c build.

Like I said, its a bit hard to keep them straight in my 68 year old
head.

--
Cheers, Gene
AMD K6-III at 500mhz 320M