location of modules with make install

On Thu, 2002-12-19 at 08:48, Mark Studebaker wrote:
> what docs are wrong?

Bad choice of terminology.  I meant the comments in Makefile:

# Determine whether we need to compile the kernel modules, or only the
# user-space utilities. By default, the kernel modules are compiled.
#COMPILE_KERNEL := 0
COMPILE_KERNEL := 1

I assumed that this choice would put them where the kernel would--busses
in /lib/modules/2.4.19-4GB/kernel/drivers/i2c/busses.  Make install puts
them one level higher, in drivers/i2c.  Chips .o files are put in
i2c/chips by kernel; in drivers/sensors by make install.

> I couldn't find any.
> doc/modules in particular looks correct to me.
> Don't know why you would have to move them for depmod to work.
> I assume "../../" below means "/lib/modules/`uname -r`/" ?

If I don't move them, then modprobe prefers the ones where the kernel's
make modules_install puts them.  depmod -ae is not the problem, but I
have 2 of each and modprobe prefers and loads the wrong ones.  This is a
SuSE kernel and they make everything into modules, I guess for
compatibility across as many systems as possible.

By moving the 2.7.0 modules to the preferred locations, they get loaded
with modprobe.

--

Ed Harrison, broadcasting on
 _