TR: lm_sensor on a Netvista

Hi Daniel,

I'm a (fanatic) user of gentoo, currenly on a 1.4 with the latest 2.4.20 mjc kernel. I've added the kernel and userspace modules
associated with lm_sensors. I've got an IBM P4 1.6G Netvista.

When launching "sensors-detect", i had this answer :
"System vendor: IBM
 Sorry, we won't let you go on. IBM systems are known to have serious
 problems with lm_sensors, resulting in hardware failures."

So I went on the lm_sensors page (http://secure.netroedge.com/~lm78/docs.html) and found out why this (good) protection was done :
there can be system failure due to a specific eeprom that  can be found on thinkpad IBM and which make your system unbootable:
http://www2.lm-sensors.nu/~lm78/cvs/lm_sensors2/README.thinkpad

The makers of lm_sensors so put this security, to avoid people with IBM thinkpad to break down there system (good thing !).

I found this article where you speak about lm_sensors and I wonder so, if you achieved this on an IBM computer.
http://www-900.ibm.com/developerWorks/cn/linux/hardware/stability/index_eng.shtml

Also, because I know that IBM is pretty involved in the gentoo distribution, I wonder if you can be of any help for people at
lm_sensors to :
- help them identify more precisely what computer is suitable for lm_sensors (maybe there's no problem with mine, by example)
- eventually help them build a fix that make it work also on Thinkpad like computers.

I don't know what are your relations with IBM, but maybe you can put them in touch with the needed people at IBM.

Below is the e-mail i've sent to the lm_sensors support.

If i can be of any help, just let me know.

Regards,

Guillaume.