24rf08 update

in-line

phil at netroedge.com wrote:

> Good work guys!  Nice to have narrowed it down to a broken I2C
> implementation on a particular chip.  Detection has always been
> difficult task to make absolutely safe.
>
> It also seems to match what Joe from Australia described, and what we
> were suspecting.
>
> So to recap (from my understanding of where we stand), is this true?
>
> - The only corruption that happens with this chip is in
>   sensors-detect?

true on my system.

> - If sensors-detect is run to avoid 0x54-0x58, the problem is avoided?

0x54-57.

> - We have a working patch for sensors-detect which works identically
>   as before, but avoids the corruption (and detects the chip
>   as eeproms)?

true. But (of course) on an IBM system, sensors-detect won't get that
far
because of the DMI detection.

> - The regular eeprom.o driver does not corrupt the chip, and works
>   as expected?

true, with one exception.
The eeprom driver doesn't work perfectly because the chip treats
00-7f as one 'bank' and 80-ff as a second bank. When you don't
reset the address, reads wrap at the end of a bank. So
eeprom shows the 00-7f contents at both 00-7f and 80-ff.
i2cdump works correctly because it sends the address for each read.
This had me going for a while...

> - There are no complications with the 'protection' address of the chip
>   and probing?

true. I don't know if that's because the 0x5c address location works,
or because its memory only goes from 00 - 1f, and the corruption would
happen at b8 (== 5c << 1)