24rf08 update

On Sun, 1 Sep 2002, Mark D. Studebaker wrote:
> Ky?sti M?lkki wrote:
>
> > Two successive Write Quick "0" become Write Byte, only changing the
> > reference for Read Byte transactions. This is i2cdetect operation and
> > causes no corruption.
>
> > It also means 2 x Write Quick would reset the state machine and prevent
> > corruption...
>
> So if we add a second Write Quick "0" - only in the range 54-57 is
> necessary - that sounds like a good fix. Agreed?

That's good first aid.

To be Really Safe (TM), one must not release adapter lock in between.
EEPs could still corrupt if you have a sensor module loaded and you run
i2cdetect.

Also sensor clients' attach_adapter uses Write Quick, often followed by
Read Byte Data. Currently only eeprom.o is left in the mentioned
range.  So maybe i2c-core deserves an option of doubling, preventing
or faking Write Quick's in the range.

I don't know about SMBus, but i2c defines multi-master topology.
Unless we can force SCL low between the two Quicks, some embedded
controller can still screw things up for us.

--
  Ky?sti M?lkki
  kmalkki at cc.hut.fi