lm_sensors and thinkpad

Mark and Albert:

Thanks to both of you for your quick response.

I was sort of aware that the problem was on the user-side, not the
kernel patch, but let me tell you of the following scenario which
really DID happen.

I got asked to develop a utility which ran on a customer's Linux
laptops, polling performance statistics periodically, including power
state, disk I/O, CPU usage, thermal state, etc.  They already had
something like this for Windoze and wanted a Linux utility so they
could see what their employees were actually doing out in the field,
and it would be emailed back from time to time to a server.  (very big
brother IMHO, but I guess it would be voluntary)

It was in the course of working on this (pretty easy) task that I
fried my 600X.  I then discovered that most of the laptops the
customer had were Thinkpads of the 600 series.  I had nightmares about
how some of the users (even just one) would be
technologically-inhibited enough to ignore all warnings and run
'sensors-detect' and no matter how much I told them to RTFM on it I
would get blamed for the damage.  The business type who was
negotiating the whole thing was not a good enough engineer to
appreciate the whole thing properly and so the project got pushed
aside.  no big loss, as it was just a small amount of work -- but so
it goes.

So a warning on the kernel configuration seems like a good idea (who
knows maybe it will bring more attention to the problem and get IBM to
cooperate) and I hope some future version of the user-space utility
screams about Thinkpads:)

Merci again

coop

 Jerry Cooperstein, PhD        <coop at axian.com>
 Senior Consultant
 Axian, Inc.   <info at axian.com>              // |_  __(_) ___  _ __
 4800 SW Griffith Dr., Ste. 202             //| |\\/ /| |/ _ \| '_ \
 Beaverton, OR  97005 USA             _____//_| | / / | | |_| | | | |
 http://www.axian.com/               Software Consulting and Training