Re: Live Patching Microconference at Linux Plumbers

On Wed, 3 May 2023 16:05:15 -0400
Joe Lawrence <joe.lawrence@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 4/14/23 05:53, Mark Rutland wrote:
> >
> > * How is this going to work with rust?
> >
> >   It's not clear to me whether/how things like ftrace, RELIABLE_STACKTRACE, and
> >   live-patching are going to work with rust. We probably need to start looking
> >   soon.
> >

> [ cc += Steve ]
>
> For me, any explanation of kernel livepatching to another kernel dev
> usually starts with ftrace, handlers, function granularity, etc.
> Thinking about livepatching + rust, I can only imagine there will be a
> lot of known and unknown gotchas with respect to data scoping, stacks,
> relocations, etc... but I would still work my way up from learning more
> about how / if Rust code will be trace-able and what that roadmap may be.
>
> Any thoughts on that Steve?  I see that the "Kernel Testing &
> Dependability" microconf has Rust on their proposal, are there any other
> planned talks re: ftrace / rust?

Thanks for bringing this up. ftrace on rust has been on the back of my
mind, and yeah, we should start looking into it. I should push for a
tracing MC, we haven't had one in a few years.

-- Steve

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux NFS]     [Linux NILFS]     [Linux USB Devel]     [Video for Linux]     [Linux Audio Users]     [Yosemite News]     [Linux SCSI]