Re: Live Patching Microconference at Linux Plumbers

On 3/29/23 08:05, Miroslav Benes wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we would like to organize Live Patching Microconference at Linux Plumbers
> 2023. The conference will take place in Richmond, VA, USA. 13-15 November.
> https://lpc.events/. The call for proposals has been opened so it is time
> to start the preparation on our side.
>
> You can find the proposal below. Comments are welcome. The list of topics
> is open, so feel free to add more. I tried to add key people to discuss
> the topics, but the list is not exhaustive. I would like to submit the
> proposal soonish even though the deadline is on 1 June. I assume that we
> can update the topics later. My plan is to also organize a proper Call for
> Topics after the submission and advertise it also on LKML.
>
> Last but not least it would be nice to have a co-runner of the show. Josh,
> Joe, any volunteer? :)
>
> Thank you
> Miroslav
>

> Proposal
> --------
> The Live Patching microconference at Linux Plumbers 2023 aims to gather
> stakeholders and interested parties to discuss proposed features and
> outstanding issues in live patching.
>
> Live patching is a critical tool for maintaining system uptime and
> security by enabling fixes to be applied to running systems without the
> need for a reboot. The development of the infrastructure is an ongoing
> effort and while many problems have been resolved and features
> implemented, there are still open questions, some with already submitted
> patch sets, which need to be discussed.
>
> Live Patching microconferences at the previous Linux Plumbers
> conferences proved to be useful in this regard and helped us to find
> final solutions or at least promising directions to push the development
> forward. It includes for example a support for several architectures
> (ppc64le and s390x were added after x86_64), a late module patching and
> module dependencies and user space live patching.
>
> Currently proposed topics follow. The list is open though and more will
> be added during the regular Call for Topics.
>
>   - klp-convert (as means to fix CET IBT limitations) and its
>     upstreamability
>   - shadow variables, global state transition
>   - kselftests and the future direction of development
>   - arm64 live patching
>
> Key people
>
>   - Josh Poimboeuf <jpoimboe@xxxxxxxxxx>
>   - Jiri Kosina <jikos@xxxxxxxxxx>
>   - Miroslav Benes <mbenes@xxxxxxx>
>   - Petr Mladek <pmladek@xxxxxxxx>
>   - Joe Lawrence <joe.lawrence@xxxxxxxxxx>
>   - Nicolai Stange <nstange@xxxxxxx>
>   - Marcos Paulo de Souza <mpdesouza@xxxxxxx>
>   - Mark Rutland <mark.rutland@xxxxxxx>
>   - Mark Brown <broonie@xxxxxxxxxx>
>
> We encourage all attendees to actively participate in the
> microconference by sharing their ideas, experiences, and insights.

Hi folks,

Gentle bump and call for any late updates to the Live Patching
Microconference Proposal.  I believe we have about a week left to edit
the proposal for consideration at this year's LPC.

See [1] for more info on LPC 2023 and [2] for the currently proposed
microconferences.

[1] https://lpc.events/event/17/
[2[ https://lpc.events/event/17/page/200-proposed-microconferences

--
Joe

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux NFS]     [Linux NILFS]     [Linux USB Devel]     [Video for Linux]     [Linux Audio Users]     [Yosemite News]     [Linux SCSI]