Re: Live Patching Microconference at Linux Plumbers

On 4/14/23 05:53, Mark Rutland wrote:

> * How is this going to work with rust?
>
>   It's not clear to me whether/how things like ftrace, RELIABLE_STACKTRACE, and
>   live-patching are going to work with rust. We probably need to start looking
>   soon.

[ cc += Steve ]

For me, any explanation of kernel livepatching to another kernel dev
usually starts with ftrace, handlers, function granularity, etc.
Thinking about livepatching + rust, I can only imagine there will be a
lot of known and unknown gotchas with respect to data scoping, stacks,
relocations, etc... but I would still work my way up from learning more
about how / if Rust code will be trace-able and what that roadmap may be.

Any thoughts on that Steve?  I see that the "Kernel Testing &
Dependability" microconf has Rust on their proposal, are there any other
planned talks re: ftrace / rust?

Regards,
--
Joe

[Index of Archives]     [Linux Kernel]     [Linux NFS]     [Linux NILFS]     [Linux USB Devel]     [Video for Linux]     [Linux Audio Users]     [Yosemite News]     [Linux SCSI]