Re: xfsprogs process question

On 3/12/20 8:46 AM, Eric Sandeen wrote:
Hi Eric and others,

I've recently tried to port my attr cleanups to xfsprogs, but noticed
that a lot of patches from others are missing before I could apply
my ptches.  Any chance we could try to have a real xfsprogs for-next
branch that everyone can submit their ports to in a timely fashion?
Without that I'm not sure how to handle the porting in a distributed
way.

I guess the problem is that libxfs/ is behind, right.  I have indeed
always been late with that but it's mostly only affected me so far.

Would it help to open a libxfs-sync-$VERSION branch as soon as the kernel
starts on a new version?

I've never quite understood what the common expectation for a "for-next"
branch behavior is, though I recognize that my use of it right now is a bit
unconventional.

-Eric

I've run across this a few times working on the delayed attr series too. Sometimes I'll just have to go through the kernel side patches and find the missing pieces and port them myself just to get things to seat correctly. Eventually the xfsprogs side catches up, but it would seem to me that if we all did this it would help to catch up the user space side and keep it maintained. I've often wondered how one person manages to keep up with that! :-)

Allison