Re: How to reliably measure fs usage with reflinks enabled?

On 5/18/18 9:43 AM, Mike Fleetwood wrote:
(Sorry for the late reply, work commitments)

So after checking, GParted was modified to use the dumpe2fs command to
read the superblock to get the file system size for mounted ext* file
systems too.

https://marc.info/?l=linux-ext4&m=134706477618732&w=2

I see that xfs_db doesn't allow reading the super block of mounted XFS
file systems.  So for the case of a mounted XFS on full fat block device
I guess I'll wait and see how much overhead is subtracted from the
statvfs f_blocks figure and make sure GParted accounts for that.

Actually you can, with -r:

# mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/test
# xfs_db -r -c "sb 0" -c "p dblocks" /dev/sda1
dblocks = 229771264

though I may be giving you rope to hang yourself here ;)

It's generally a bit dicey to be reading a mounted block device for any
filesystem, as there's no coordination with changes the filesystem may
be making while it's mounted.

The XFS_IOC_FSGEOMETRY would be a better choice for gathering geometry
information for a mounted xfs filesystem.

-Eric