Re: How to reliably measure fs usage with reflinks enabled?

On 5/14/18 3:02 PM, Tarik Ceylan wrote:
> How can one reliably measure filesystem usage on partitions that were compiled with -m reflink=1 ?
> Here are some numbers i am measuring with df -h (on different partitions holding the same data):
> 7.7G of 36G  (-b size=512  -m crc=0 )
> 8.6G of 36G  (-b size=4096 -m crc=1 )

8x larger inodes will take 8x more space, but you didn't say how many
inodes you have allocated.

> 11G  of 36G  (-b size=1024 -m crc=1,reflink=1,rmapbt=1 -i sparse=1 )
> 32G  of 864G (-b size=4096 -m crc=1,reflink=1 )

In that last case, you have a wildly different total fs size, so probably
no fair comparison here either.

The reverse mapping btree also takes up space.  You're turning too many
knobs at once.  ;)

> I already ruled out fragmentation as a cause. The data does not contain many duplicates (roughly 200mb could be freed by deduplicating). Since measuring fs usage on btrfs also isn't trivial, i would suspect that there are similar problems happening here. But i could not find any information on how to measure fs usage properly when using xfs with reflinks. Kernel in use is 4.14.40.

Perhaps you can change only one variable at a time to make the experiment
more meaningful.

-Eric