Re: XFS and sector size on thin volumes

On 9/16/17 11:43 AM, Gionatan Danti wrote:
> Il 12-09-2017 07:24 Gionatan Danti ha scritto:
>> Hi Eric,
>> so no performance decrease is expected by letting the journal to be
>> aligned to 512 byte boundary, even on an underlying 512e/4K disk?

I don't think I said that - this is the first time you've mentioned
/alignment/, and I've seen no indication of your alignment one way or
another.

>> Thanks.
>
> Hi all and sorry for the bump...
>
> So, just to be sure: there is *no* performance penalty in creating an XFS filesystem with 512B sector size on a 512e/4Kn disk (which is not recognized as an AF disk due to the ZVOL in-between)?

> Or should I use "-b size=4k" with mkfs.xfs?

that specifies a 4k block size, which is already the default.

You're conflating a lot of issues here - log alignment, sector size,
physical & logical block size presented by both the underlying
storage and the zvol ...

I cannot speak to zvols, as I have no experience with them.

But if the underlying storage is 512e/4k then you may want to specify
the 4k /sector/ size with -s size=4k.

-Eric