RE: Parent pointers

-----Original Message-----
From: linux-xfs-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:linux-xfs-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Darrick J. Wong
Sent: Friday, July 14, 2017 5:47 PM
To: Brian Foster <bfoster@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx>; Allison Henderson <allison.henderson@xxxxxxxxxx>; cmaiolino@xxxxxxxxxx; linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Parent pointers

On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 03:07:41PM -0400, Brian Foster wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 14, 2017 at 01:46:27PM -0500, Eric Sandeen wrote:
> > On 07/14/2017 12:44 PM, Allison Henderson wrote:
> > > On 7/14/2017 7:04 AM, Eric Sandeen wrote:

<parent inode pointers returneth messages deleted>

> It's something to keep in mind, in any event. IIRC there were also
> missing Signed-off-by's required for some of Mark's original patches.

That's also a problem; unless someone can get Mark to supply them, we probably have to get someone to rewrite them.  At a bare minimum I think we explicitly have to pass back a xfs_dir2_dataptr_t, not a bare uint32_t.

Me says:
The community can do what they want.  If you want to start with that code, permission for S-O-B: me (snickers at the pun)

> IMO, the best next step might be to just finish off the implementation
> as-is such that we could have a fairly functional RFC to put on the
> list and hash out whether there are in fact any remaining design
> hurdles, but others might have a different opinion on that. :)

No one is asking me but I will add, IMO (definitely disclaiming the storage group and HPE):
 the PIP costs outweigh the benefits.
   Adding the redundant filename for recovery and an occasional output of the path pushes the cost to be *totally unreasonable*.
    If I had a say, I don't and won't, I would NAK any implementation that included it.
 Implementing with extended attributes is the wrong, wrong, wrong choice. It was done for hysterical :) reasons and even that appeasement bit me in the asterisk.

Good luck.

--Mark Tinguely
  not representing anyone but myself.