Re: Parent pointers

On 07/14/2017 03:50 AM, Carlos Maiolino wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 04:25:25PM -0700, Allison Henderson wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've been doing some digging on adding parent pointers to xfs and wanted to
>> send a note to folks here to get peoples opinions on it.
>
> Are you talking about parent pointers in the BTrees?

No, see [RFC 00/17] RFC parent inode pointers. for example, from long
ago.

"Parent inode support allow XFS to quickly derive a file name and
path from the mount point. This can aid in directory/path policies
and can help relocate items during filesystem shrink."

It has a long and ... difficult history.

-Eric