Re: filesystem dead, xfs_repair won't help

On 04/12/2017 06:45 PM, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 10:34:47AM -0500, Eric Sandeen wrote:
Is it safe to do that on a device that /actually/ has only 512 sectors?
Except for NVMe none of the storage standards actually guarantees
sector atomicy, although the whole storage stack traditionally relies on
it..

Maybe we should claim a 4k physical block size for NVMe devices that
hab 512 byte LBAs and a "Atomic Write Unit Power Fail" setting of at
least 8 so that the mkfs sector size logic triggers..

This preserves the ability to do O_DIRECT reads at 512 byte granularity, yes? We make use of that (it's probably less important on NVMe; still why waste bandwidth needlessly).