Re: filesystem dead, xfs_repair won't help

On 04/11/2017 07:13 PM, Emmanuel Florac wrote:
Le Tue, 11 Apr 2017 16:07:56 +0300
Avi Kivity <avi@xxxxxxxxxxxx> écrivait:

$ sudo xfs_db -c 'sb 0' -c 'check' /tmp/fsimage
ERROR: The filesystem has valuable metadata changes in a log which
needs to be replayed.  Mount the filesystem to replay the log, and
unmount it before re-running xfs_db.  If you are unable to mount the
filesystem, then use the xfs_repair -L option to destroy the log and
attempt a repair. Note that destroying the log may cause corruption
-- please attempt a mount of the filesystem before doing this.

xfs_repair did not recognize the superblock, and started hunting for
the second one, emitting dots in the process.  I stopped it, since it
failed on the live disk.

Can you mount the image, or does it fail immmediately because of the
CRC error?

Fails immediately.

I'll probably format it with ext4, wait for the firmware update, and then reformat it with xfs. Since the firmware bug was acknowledged, I don't know what we can gain from it. My disk is mostly a git and imap mirror anyway, + a large ccache repository, + a throwaway database.