Re: allow mounting w/crc-checking disabled? (was Re: filesystem dead, xfs_repair won't help)

Le Mon, 10 Apr 2017 11:05:38 -0700
L A Walsh <xfs@xxxxxxxxx> écrivait:

> 	I'm sure it wouldn't be trivial, but creating a separate
> file system, "XFS2" from the original XFS sources that responded
> to data or metadata corruption by returning empty data where
> it was impossible to return anything useful instead of flagging
> the disk as "bad", would be a way to allow data recovery to
> the extent that it made sense (assuming the original sources
> couldn't do the same toggling off a config-flag).

It would probably much easier to add an option to mount the filesystem
without crc, similar to "norecovery", that doesn't replay the journal.
It would be of course read-only, but in a similar case it would be much
easier and practical for everyone.

So far I believed that metadata CRCs were a promise of safer
filesystems; now that I've setup several multi-hundred terabytes
volumes with CRC enabled, I'm getting nervous...