allow mounting w/crc-checking disabled? (was Re: filesystem dead, xfs_repair won't help)

Avi Kivity wrote:
Today my kernel complained that in memory metadata is corrupt and
asked that I run xfs_repair.  But xfs_repair doesn't like the
superblock and isn't able to find a secondary superblock.
Why doesn't xfs have an option to mount with metadata checksumming
disabled so people can recover their data?

Seems like it should be easy to provide, no?

Or rather, if a disk is created with the crc option, is it possible
to later switch it off or mount it without with checking disabled?

Yes, I know the mantra is that they should have had backups, but
in practice it's seems not the case in a majority of uses outside
of enterprise usage.  It sure seems that disabling a particular file
or directory (if necessary) affected by a bad-crc, would be
preferable to losing the whole disk.  That said, how many crc
errors would be likely to make things unreadable or inaccessible?
Given that the default before crc-checking was that the disks
were still usable (often with no error being flagged or noticed),
I'd suspect that the crc-checking is causing many errors to be
be flagged that before wouldn't have even been noticed.
Overall I'm wondering if the crc option won't cause more disk-losses
than would occur without the option.  Or, in other words, it seems
that since crc-checking seems to cause the disk to be lost, turning
on crc checking is almost guaranteed to cause a higher incidence of
data loss if it can't be disable.