Re: Cannot Mount XFS Filesystem

On Fri, Sep 02, 2016 at 03:14:54PM +0000, Wilson, Kyle wrote:
> It is a relatively new file system. It was probably created within the
> last six months. It has only ever been used with Centos 7. It has been
> mounted with the kernel-3.10.0-229 and kernel-3.10.0-327.22.2.el7
> kernels. There was a hardware issue with the power supply to a few of
> the physical disks that make up one of the software raid devices. A
> couple disks would lose power and go offline. While resolving that
> issue, there most likely were some hard reboots.

Ouch. That means there's real corruption on disk that you'll need to
fix - partial array power loss is guaranteed to corrupt the
filesystem and your data.

> What steps do I need to take to get you the metadata dump?

The corruption wasn't caused by an XFS issue, so you don't need to
supply us with a metadump as there's no problem for us to triage.
You might want to do trial runs of xfs_repair on a restored metadump
image to see how much of a mess you have before trying to repair the
original filesystem, though.

Keep in mind, however, that xfs_repair only detects and fixes issues
with the structure of the XFS filesystem. It does not validate the
data in files is intact, so once you've repaired the filesystem
you'll still need to validate the data in your files is correct
(e.g. compare to last backup, etc).

Cheers,

Dave.
--