Re: pkeys: Support setting access rights for signal handlers

On 12/13/2017 12:13 AM, Ram Pai wrote:

On POWER, the value of the pkey_read() i.e contents the AMR
register(pkru equivalent), is always the same regardless of its
context; signal handler or not.

In other words, the permission of any allocated key will not
reset in a signal handler context.

That's certainly the simpler semantics, but I don't like how they differ from x86.

Is the AMR register reset to the original value upon (regular) return from the signal handler?

I was not aware that x86 would reset the key permissions in signal
handler.  I think, the proposed behavior for PKEY_ALLOC_SETSIGNAL should
actually be the default behavior.

Note that PKEY_ALLOC_SETSIGNAL does something different: It requests that the kernel sets the access rights for the key to the bits specified at pkey_alloc time when the signal handler is invoked. So there is still a reset with PKEY_ALLOC_SETSIGNAL, but to a different value. It did not occur to me that it might be desirable to avoid resetting the value on a per-key basis.

Thanks,
Florian