Re: Looking for boards with an 802.15.4 chip

Hello.

On 01/08/16 00:34, Marcin K Szczodrak wrote:
To just get a feeling of how the technology works, OpenThread is one
way of discovering 15.4 and it's Thread standard. One can use various
dev boards to run OpenThread, such as Zolertia's RE-Mote or TI's
CC2538 dev kit. Alternatively, there are also very good kits from
SiLabs, NXP (Freescale) and Dialog (check OpenThread Sandbox
Development Platform).

From a Linux perspective, it might be worth playing with OpenThread
and wpantund, a user-space 15.4 driver that talks to 15.4 radio chip
over UART or SPI.

We are aware of them and I already has some mails with Jonathan from Nestlabs to see how we can work together here.

In this setup, one could flash 15.4 with OpenThread
and run wpantund on a Linux host to create a Thread network gateway,
which typically is used by low-power 15.4 only devices to get outside
of the Thread network.

What you are describing is the network co-processor setup (NCP). This sadly means that Linux is only aware of the very high level characteristics of the Thread network. IP address range, routes, etc. The rest would all be handled in the device firmware. With OpenThread this would be at least open source.

On the other hand the linux-wpan and 6LoWPAN stack we are working on here is capable of handling the PHY and MAC layers as well. Thus we are aiming for a way to run the higher level bits of OpenThread in userspace while having at least 15.4 and 6LoWPAN be dealt with by the existing subsystems. I'm working my way through the code right now to see what is needed on our side to support the OpenThread use cases and what interfaces we would need to offer. I should be able to but some initial thoughts into the wiki by the end of the week maybe.

In my opinion the NCP as well as the native linux use case are both valid and it depends on your idea or project/product what you want to use.

regards
Stefan Schmidt