Re: Looking for boards with an 802.15.4 chip

To just get a feeling of how the technology works, OpenThread is one
way of discovering 15.4 and it's Thread standard. One can use various
dev boards to run OpenThread, such as Zolertia's RE-Mote or TI's
CC2538 dev kit. Alternatively, there are also very good kits from
SiLabs, NXP (Freescale) and Dialog (check OpenThread Sandbox
Development Platform).

>From a Linux perspective, it might be worth playing with OpenThread
and wpantund, a user-space 15.4 driver that talks to 15.4 radio chip
over UART or SPI. In this setup, one could flash 15.4 with OpenThread
and run wpantund on a Linux host to create a Thread network gateway,
which typically is used by low-power 15.4 only devices to get outside
of the Thread network.

Best,
Marcin