Re: How many devices in an upcoming ATUSB production run?

Hello.

On 30.07.2016 23:51, Stefan Schmidt wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Ever since the first, and only, batch of ATUSB dongles have been sold
> out I was looking for someone to get a new batch going to keep this
> useful development device available.
>
> For newcomers here or people how are not familiar with it. The ATUSB
> dongle is a small USB device with a AVR micro controller and Atmel 15.4
> transceiver. The firmware is open source and the kernel driver is
> working out of the box in mainline from 4.1. This makes is a nice
> development device if you want test 15.4 on your normal laptop or
> desktop. Attaching it to a embedded board with USB will also work but if
> you have GPIO lines available a transceiver module alone might be cheaper.
>
> Back to the topic. Finally the pieces are coming together and we are
> working towards a new batch of devices! Yay! :)
>
> Right now we are thinking of about 50 pieces. Its a device for a very
> specific niche after all so its hard to estimate numbers here. If we
> would to for 100 or more devices the ratio for the one-time setup costs
> in the fab would obviously be better.
>
> Thus I wanted to tru getting some estimation of what we would really
> need. What kind of interest is there before we have 99 in stock and only
> one sold :)
>
> If you would be interested to get 1 or more of them please let me know
> either here or in private. This would not be an order or such, just
> shown interest.
>
> The original batch had 120 ATUSB devices and a price tag of 39 EUR for
> one ATUSB. With a batch of only 50 we are unable to hold this price tag.
> Right now our hope would be to stay below 50 EUR. These prices are not
> fixed but our own estimates right now.
>
> If we the interest is high enough and we go with a 100 batch we hope to
> reduce the price to 45. And just to make this clear, this does not
> include any money for Werner or me putting time into this or the company
> making any profit. Its really all for hardware BOM, PCB boards,
> manufacturing, webshop handling, etc. All involved parties want to
> enable more people having access to this technology and our stack not
> making a profit.
>
> http://downloads.qi-hardware.com/people/werner/wpan/web/
>
> Eager so see how much interest is there. :)

Just to clarify this a bit more. The devices will be available from an
online shop with invoice and all you need for company ordering.

Especially the shipping part was something I was worried about but the
company helping us here have done that now for a while.

regards
Stefan Schmidt