Re: extending driver mrf24j40

On 02/21/2016 01:29 PM, Alexander Aring wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am 02/20/2016 um 10:20 PM schrieb smlng:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm using 2 lowpan transceivers on a Raspberry Pi namely openlabs at86rf233 and microchip mrf24j40ma. I found that the latter one seams to be somewhat _incomplete_, that is it doesn't support handles for _reset_ and _wake/sleep_ gpio-pin configuration. Further, this makes connecting the mrf24j40ma to the RasPi pinout inconvenient (IMHO). On the other hand the atmel driver (at86rf230)[1] does support these functions, so I'd like to _port_ the reset and sleep functionality into the mrf24j40 driver[2].
> Yes, hard-reset functionality would be nice.
>
> Remember the wake/sleep functionalty is limited only, if the subsystem doesn't use the
> transceiver then it will go into sleep mode. Nothing more is supported for powersaving
> currently.
>
>> Is anybody working on this, and if not: do you think it is useful/worth while doing so? I'm willing to work on that and implement these extension, maybe also restructure/clean up the driver code a little bit in this process.
> ok. Great!
>
> If I remember correctly Koen Zandberg (I cc him here) said something about the
> hard-reset functionality @irc, that he plans to implement it.
>
> Koen, do you already working on this or still try to bring mac802154 led-trigger
> functionality mainline? :-)
Real life gave me a kick in the nuts, but I haven't forgotten the led
triggers.

> Also I cc "Alan Ott" the maintainer of mrf24j40 driver.
>
> - Alex
Hello,

I'm using multiple mrf24j40ma radio's in my setup. I've had some plans
too to extend the driver. Maybe we could collaborate with this since we
seem to have the same ideas. As Alexander said, I've got the reset
functionality on my to-do list, but haven't found time to implement it
yet. I also had the idea to implement some sanity checks in the
interrupt code. Furthermore it might be nice to have some kind of check
in the hw_init code to probe the device somehow and error if the radio
does not respond (correctly).

It would be great if you have time to implement some of these functions.
When I find the time to start working on these things I'll notify you so
we don't do the same work twice :)

Koen