Search Linux Wireless

Re: Missing firmware iwlwifi-2030-5.ucode

On 08/20/2012 11:55 PM, Gábor Stefanik wrote:
On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 6:01 PM, Johannes Berg
<johannes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, 2012-08-20 at 10:53 -0500, Larry Finger wrote:

I'm still concerned about the bigger picture. I can understand that the -5
version was experimental, but why was a driver released that needed a firmware
version that could never be obtained? If any driver version needs a particular
firmware, the fw must be available as long as anyone might be using that driver.
To me, that means forever.

Well, yes. That firmware, however, never was never available publicly.
The fact that the driver was released anyway is due to us working on the
driver upstream while working with the experimental internal firmware.

johannes

Perhaps we should add a Kconfig option to disable internal development
hardware - with that option unchecked, support for hardware that is
not on the market is disabled, with a printk warning to upgrade the
driver in case a user tries to use a driver with a card that it thinks
is internal-only. This way, users will get a meaningful error message,
rather than a misleading "missing firmware" one.
The Kconfig option should also come with a big warning of "Say N
unless you are an Intel employee". Maybe it should even be marked
BROKEN, like N-PHY was in b43 before it became usable.

Your suggestion would handle the case where hardware that is only supposed to be available internally has somehow been leaked to the public. In the case of the 2030, it is a device that was intended to be available to the public, and I suspect that Windows and OS X drivers were available with built-in firmware.

My feeling is that the reviewers will need to watch the situation. I certainly plan to monitor every Intel patch for a firmware change, and I will NACK every instance for which that firmware file is not already in linux-firmware. John might not honor my NACK; however, I will be on record. At least Ben Hutchings caught the attempt to delete the older version of the firmware for the 6205. His diligence saved some users of older kernels from having to scramble to find firmware not in the firmware repo.

Larry