Search Linux Wireless

Re: Missing firmware iwlwifi-2030-5.ucode

On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 6:01 PM, Johannes Berg
<johannes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-08-20 at 10:53 -0500, Larry Finger wrote:
>
>> I'm still concerned about the bigger picture. I can understand that the -5
>> version was experimental, but why was a driver released that needed a firmware
>> version that could never be obtained? If any driver version needs a particular
>> firmware, the fw must be available as long as anyone might be using that driver.
>> To me, that means forever.
>
> Well, yes. That firmware, however, never was never available publicly.
> The fact that the driver was released anyway is due to us working on the
> driver upstream while working with the experimental internal firmware.
>
> johannes

Perhaps we should add a Kconfig option to disable internal development
hardware - with that option unchecked, support for hardware that is
not on the market is disabled, with a printk warning to upgrade the
driver in case a user tries to use a driver with a card that it thinks
is internal-only. This way, users will get a meaningful error message,
rather than a misleading "missing firmware" one.
The Kconfig option should also come with a big warning of "Say N
unless you are an Intel employee". Maybe it should even be marked
BROKEN, like N-PHY was in b43 before it became usable.