Search Linux Wireless

Re: WDS vs. multi-channel operation

On Mon, 2012-08-06 at 17:13 +0200, Felix Fietkau wrote:

> >> The difference between WDS and 4-addr AP_VLAN is that WDS is AP<->AP,
> >> not AP<->STA. I guess it would be possible to write some code to create
> >> AP VLANs + station entries for remote APs based on cooked monitor mode
> >> based discovery or some form of mgmt frame exchange.
> >
> > I was thinking just pre-configure it as you have to anyway now?
> Well, when creating station entries manually, it has to know the HT
> capabilities, etc.
> With my incomplete fixes (which are being used on OpenWrt), those are
> automatically extracted from the remote AP's beacons, so that needs less
> preconfiguration.

Ah yes, but hostapd could do that as well since it always receives OBSS
beacons (via cooked monitor or nl80211 beacon reporting)

Anyway, I don't mind WDS special interfaces, I just have a feeling we
might be better served by AP_VLAN since they're implicitly handled in
mac80211 and don't need driver support etc.

johannes