Search Linux Wireless

Re: mac80211 auth/assoc in multi-channel scenarios

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 12:33 PM, Johannes Berg
<johannes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-06-27 at 20:05 +0300, Arik Nemtsov wrote:
>
>> > Yeah, that was one of the other options I considered in my original
>> > email ... but this call must be able to sleep, and the TX processing in
>> > mac80211 cannot sleep, so unless we bypass all processing (which seems
>> > wrong) that would be rather difficult to implement.
>>
>> Good point. But another race to consider the the
>> multi-channel/multi-vif scenario, where the driver already has a lot
>> of packets queued up, so the time will expire before we get a chance
>> to Tx. Again this is not a problem in practice (since it's the VO ac).
>
> If the vif is on a different channel, the driver really should assign it
> different queues and then there shouldn't be much queued up, right?
> Also, if you really have >100ms latency on your queues, you have a major
> problem anyway I'd think?

Yea. It's all only theoretical :)

>> How about somehow requiring a multi channel driver to give always
>> Tx-ack? That will mean we can abandon the retry timers, and rely on
>> the driver to give an answer within a reasonable time.
>
> That doesn't mean we can abandon the retry timers though? Then again,
> maybe it does, we could start the timer only when we get the status
> information I guess?

I'm not really sure why the assoc timers are there now. If it's
because we want to be sure we gave the peer a chance to respond, well
the Tx-ack already gives us that. Waiting any longer won't help.
Or does waiting in general before the next Tx help with something?
(clear temporary congestion etc).

> I'm not sure I'd want to *require* this, but it sounds like a good thing
> we could do to address this possible race for drivers that do support
> reliable status reports?

Yea. And then, if all current multi-channel drivers support Tx-ack, we
can skip implemeting tx_sync.