Search Linux Wireless

Re: mac80211 auth/assoc in multi-channel scenarios

On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 6:25 PM, Johannes Berg
<johannes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-06-27 at 18:20 +0300, Arik Nemtsov wrote:
>
>> > It'll depend on the driver I guess? If you're going to set a flag "give
>> > this vif priority now" on the first invocation, then you probably
>> > wouldn't care about the timing. It looks like our implementation would
>> > actually start some "give me the channel" operation and when the
>> > firmware says "ok you have the channel now" we'd return and rely on
>> > getting the TX right after.
>> >
>> > Wrt. the race, this isn't going to be something that happens within less
>> > than a millisecond or so, it's going to give us maybe 50ms at least of
>> > channel time (WFA mandates replying within 30ms), so that doesn't seem
>> > like a problem?
>>
>> It's probably not an issue. Just seems simpler to just give the skb to
>> the driver so it can do whatever it wants before/during/after. Bypass
>> op_tx completely for these.
>
> Yeah, that was one of the other options I considered in my original
> email ... but this call must be able to sleep, and the TX processing in
> mac80211 cannot sleep, so unless we bypass all processing (which seems
> wrong) that would be rather difficult to implement.

Good point. But another race to consider the the
multi-channel/multi-vif scenario, where the driver already has a lot
of packets queued up, so the time will expire before we get a chance
to Tx. Again this is not a problem in practice (since it's the VO ac).

How about somehow requiring a multi channel driver to give always
Tx-ack? That will mean we can abandon the retry timers, and rely on
the driver to give an answer within a reasonable time.