Search Linux Wireless

Re: RTL8192e-pci NIC

On 04/09/2012 02:26 PM, John W. Linville wrote:
On Mon, Apr 09, 2012 at 10:57:03AM -0500, Larry Finger wrote:

As I do not use Fedora, I was not aware of Fusion. Perhaps you could
get them to reinstate this driver in their package. In addition, you
might post a bug at Redhat in hopes that they will change their
standard configuration. As a last resort, you could switch to a
distro that includes this driver in their standard kernels.

Yeah, this is reasonable advice.  I don't know why Fusion droped this
package, but it might have been due to me making their life harder by
integrating compat-wireless directly into the Fedora kernels.  Since I
am no longer doing that, they may be willing to reverse that decision.

I don't really see including a staging driver in Fedora unless it is
clearly on the path to the "normal" part of the kernel.  Any chance
of that?

Yes, but not likely very soon. This card is relatively rare, and there are several drivers for more common Realtek devices in staging.

@Jan - There is one other option. As you can compile drivers, I will prepare a tested copy of the driver that will compile on all recent kernels, and put the source on my ftp site.

Larry